Happy Sunday! This is the first installment of a new series I will be doing weekly called Self Care Sunday. Life tends to get in the way with work, mom life, schedules and everything in between, leaving little time for ourselves. That little bit of “me time” is so important to combat stress. I’ll be sharing some of my favorite ways to fit in it! I would love to hear yours, as well!
Last week the topic of overindulging came up during two separate occasions with my girlfriends. We sometimes get caught up in treating ourselves a little too much, and the end result usually has us feeling less than stellar. One had an event coming up, and the other was looking to feel more comfortable in her jeans again, so I suggested trying a detox bath.
It isn’t a cure-all or permanent solution, but it yields a lot of great benefits, including eliminating toxins, strengthening your immune system, and promoting stress relief. It’s a great way to get your body back on track, and able to absorb nutrients better.
How I Take a Detox Bath:
Add the following ingredients to very warm water as you fill up your tub
- 2 Cups Epsom Salts (I love this kind!)
- 1/2 Cup Baking Soda
- 1 TBSP Coconut Oil (optional)
- 8-10 drops of your favorite essential oil (optional)
Light a candle, grab a book and relax, as you soak for 20-30 minutes
- Drink plenty of water during & after your bath
- Rinse off with cool water after your bath
- A detox bath opens up your pores, so I don’t use any soaps, shampoos, or lotions, during or after my bath
- Everyone’s body is different, a detox bath may not be right for you, so it’s always best to check with your doctor first
- I give Hudson his own detox bath fit for his weight at the first signs of a runny nose to shorten the duration of a cold, with 1/2 Cup Epsom Salts, 1/4 Cup Baking Soda, 4 drops lavender or wild orange oil and let him soak for 15-20 minutes, while he drinks out of a sippy
My Favorite Essential Oils to Add:
- Lavender or Serenity are my favorite to promote a good night’s sleep
- Thieves or On Guard I use to really boost my immune system, or when I’m not feeling well
- Peppermint I use to help fight fatigue
- Grapefruit is uplifting, and a great mood booster
Have you ever taken a detox bath? I’d love to hear your variations!