Sticking to healthy eating during the holidays can be tricky. Luckily, there are numerous holiday inspired recipes that can keep us in check, without missing out on the flavor. These vegan and gluten-free dishes are some of my favorite!
Right around this time last year, I read The Beauty Detox by celeb nutritionist, Kimberly Snyder. It’s an amazing approach to healthy eating and the order of food consumption. Her book is filled with tons of yummy recipes that are antioxidant filled to promote a radiant glow. With cold, rainy weather the last few days, I’ve been craving her Delish Squash Bisque. It’s the perfect Fall soup for a chilly day. I made it today, along with Tone It Up’s 3 Ingredient Cookies. What are some of your favorite comfort dishes for cold weather?
Delish Squash Bisque
1 medium acorn squash
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large sweet onion, minced
1 Tbs. coconut oil or vegetable broth
3 celery stalks, cubed
2-3 full carrots, cubed
1 tsp. ginger, grated
½- 1 Tbs. of Celtic or Himalayan sea salt, as needed to taste
¼ tsp. black pepper
2 cups of water
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Cut the acorn squash open, remove seeds and peel, and cut into cubes.
- Heat coconut oil or vegetable broth in a large cooking pot.
- Lightly sauté the garlic, then add the onion and the grated ginger.
- Do not overcook! Use medium rather than high heat.
- Add salt and black pepper and stir in.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and gently cook over low heat, until they lightly start to soften.
- Add water and cover, simmering the vegetables for 30 minutes or so, or until tender.
- Pour mixture into blender and puree. Add the unsweetened almond milk. *(I use an immersion blender instead, to avoid transferring the soup back and forth. Great investment!)
- Add back to the cooking pot and keep on low heat.
- Serve and enjoy!
I made these simple cookies (with a not so simple taste!) from the Tone It Up blog for a mid-morning snack. I added cinnamon, pumpkin spice, and carob chips. They’re delicious! If you follow the Tone It Up Program, they’re a great option for Meals 1-3.
Tone It Up 3 Ingredient Cookies
2 Medium Ripe Bananas
1 Cup of Oats
1 Scoop/Packet Perfect Fit Protein Powder (or other favorite brand!)
*Optional: I added Cinnamon, Pumpkin Spice & Carob chips
- Mash your peeled bananas in a bowl with a fork ~ mash well! Add in the scoop of Perfect Fit and keep mixing. Depending on how ripe your bananas are, you may need to add a few drops of almond milk or water to make your dough the right consistency. Lastly, mix in the oats.
- Use a spoon to drop the dough on your cookie sheet ~ be sure to coat it with non-stick cooking spray ~ and lightly press down to flatten. This helps it bake better!
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown! If they are still a little mushy, just bake for a little bit longer.
Other great optional add-ins include: raisins, pumpkin spice, pumpkin puree, cranberries, walnuts, slivered almonds
The fourth annual Fashion’s Night Out was held on Thursday. I ventured into Soho for the event that includes cocktails, free gifts and celeb appearances. Here are some of the highlights.
Is this not the sweetest thing? It looks like a real life print ad.
Champagne at Calypso St. Barts.
Victoria’s Secret held a party at their Soho location with guest Alessandra Ambrosio.
Vince Camuto at his Soho store.
What FNO activities did you attend? Did you score any fab freebies or deals?
Jessica Alba and I share a mutual love of colored denim. When I bought my first pair of red denim jeans, it immediately became an addiction. From then on, I had to build a wardrobe of every color.
I’ve recently started acquiring my Spring additions of pastel shades, and sherbet hues. What makes the Spring version even better, is that they’re cropped! Cropped jeans work well with flats and look especially chic with heels. My favorite pairing is neon pink and black.
What makes colored denim so effortless, is the fact that you can easily pair them with all neutrals. They’re a simple, instant wardrobe update.
Have you jumped on the colored denim band wagon? If you are trying it for the first time this Spring, choose an inexpensive version of the trend. Check out the countless varieties and colors below from ShopStyle!