When deciding which style direction to take our living room, my boyfriend and I thought of all the possibilities, from contemporary glam to traditional and rustic. We knew we wanted something unique, and a combination of both of our styles. After a trip to Restoration Hardware, we fell in love with the uniqueness of rustic farmhouse tables placed in a contemporary room.
We found a basic white table at ikea, bought pine wood boards, and stained them, then fit and drilled them on top to the top of it, and under just a few hours, we had a new coffee table, along with two matching end tables totaling less than $115.
Adding serene candles, fresh florals, and a personal touch really pulled everything together, along with comfy throw pillows, into a cozy, homey living area that fits us perfectly.
Step by Step Instructions:
- We purchased a basic coffee table, along with two side tables.
- Keeping our table measurements in mind, we went to our local home improvement store, and purchased 1″ x 6″ x 6′ pine boards (9 boards fit all three of our tables.)
- We cut the boards to fit each table and allow a 1/4″ overhang on each side of each table.
- Next we stained each side of each wood board with Rust-Oleum Wood Stain in Weathered Gray. (You can use any stain and color you prefer.)
- After the wood boards were dry, we applied Liquid Nails Construction Adhesive to the back of the boards, and placed them on the tables.
- We then used 2″ wood screws to secure the boards to the tables.
- Lastly, we applied a polyurethane in a clear satin finish to repel stains and moisture.