The Green Smoothie revolution may be more than a just diet fad, considering all of the amazing health benefits one glass can provide. The best part is with the variety of recipes available, you can customize your smoothie with the health benefits you desire.
I began swapping my usual breakfast of whole grains and fruit for a green smoothie, which curbs the appetite and provides essential health benefits. I frequently try new variations, but my usual recipe contains 1C unsweetened almond milk, a frozen organic banana, 1T chia seeds, 2C spinach, and sometimes protein powder like Vega Almondilla Shake & Go Smoothie Powder. Spinach is my preferred type of greens, because it has the least amount of taste and provides a high amount of vitamin A, which promotes healthy skin. Spinach is filled with antioxidants with vitamins C and E, and contains dietary fiber. I drink it before and after workouts, because bananas energy, they are high in fiber, and they aid in preventing high blood sugar. Chia seeds are a great addition, because they keep your body full for hours, add energy, and contain antioxidants.
Don’t let the strange color fool you, any fruit added to the recipe simply masks the taste of any leafy greens. The smoothie is made using three parts; 1C liquid (water, juice, or dairy-free milk), 1-2C frozen fruit (bananas, peaches, strawberries, or blueberries), and 2C+ leafy greens (spinach, romaine, or kale). For added health benefits, throw in ground flax seed, chia seeds, or protein powder.
Customize your own healthy skin concoction with the benefits these ingredients provide.
- Spinach: Antioxidants, Vitamins A, C & E, Fiber
- Kale: Antioxidants, Anti-inflammatory nutrients, Vitamins K, A & C
- Romaine: High fiber, Vitamin C, Folic acid
- Celery: Vitamin C, Diuretic, Aids in lowering blood pressure, Anti-inflammatory nutrients
- Parsley: Antioxidants, Vitamin A, C & K, Anti-inflammatory nutrients, Heart health
- Cucumbers: Antioxidants, Fiber, Vitamin K
- Bananas: High fiber, Energy, Aids in lowering blood sugar
- Peaches: Vitamin A, C & E, High fiber
- Strawberries: Antioxidants, Vitamin C, Anti-inflammatory nutrients, Bone health
- Blueberries: Antioxidants, High fiber, Brain health, Aids in reducing belly fat
- Raspberries: Vitamin C, Fiber, Helps keep metabolic rate high
- Flax Seeds: Omega-3s, Fiber, Lignans (help prevent many cancers)
- Chia Seeds: Antioxidants, Energy, Omega-3s, Balance blood sugar
- Cacao: Antioxidants, Fiber, Brain health, Cardiovascular heath
Have you tried a green smoothie? If so, what is your favorite variation?